Hindustan Power to shift focus from coal to solar power
Slowdown in the capacity addition in coal-based power due to scarcity of domestic coal and increasing demand for clean power has prompted Moser BaerBSE -3.30 % Projects, now called Hindustan Power Projects to shift its focus from conventional energy to solar power.
Talking with ET over their portfolio switch, Ratul Puri, chairman of HPPPL, said: “Coal-based power generation has lost some momentum due to issues around coal availability and mining.
With the solar power tariff at rational level now, this gives us the opportunity to take a more aggressive approach in renewable energy.” Companies that have set up coal-fired plants are struggling as Coal IndiaBSE -0.65 % has not been able to keep up with the rapid growth in demand after the private sector took big stridesBSE -0.12 % in thermal generation in recent years.
Source: Economic Times
- Coal India to call tender for setting up 800 MW solar project at Rs 4,800 crore
- European Commission approves conversion of third Drax unit from coal to biomass
- Govt to experiment with offshore wind projects: Piyush Goyal
- NLC to invest Rs 29,239 crore in coal, power sectors
- Coal producer CIL plans to harness solar power